January 25, 2012 Uganda Women Writers Association (FEMRITE) calls for submissions for her 4th Regional Women Writers Residence to be held in November 2012. This is an inspiring initiative that brings together upcoming African women writers. The main objectives of the residency are:
- To bring established writers to mentor upcoming African women writers
- To give upcoming Ugandan women writers the opportunity to interact with women writers from the continent
- To give African women writers conducive space and time pursue their writing projects
- To create opportunities for inter-cultural discourse among women writers
- To strengthen collaboration among women writers initiatives in Africa
- To generate short stories for publication in an anthology
At the end of the residence, we expect the writers to have:
- Had mentoring sessions with an established writer
- Improved at least one of their writing projects
- Enriched each other’s manuscripts through discussion
- Submitted their improved short story for the residency anthology
How To Apply
Interested women are required to submit;
- Part of a novel / short Story collection in WORD document (40 pages, typed in Times New Roman, font 12, 1.5 spacing).
- A short story for publication in the residency anthology
- A brief bio (not more than 10 lines)
This call is open to African women living on the continent. Writers already attached to writers groups in their countries are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for submissions is 30th April 2012
- All applicants will receive notification by email once their manuscripts are received.
- The Residency targets 15 writers
- The Residency will last two weeks in November 2012
- Successful applicants will be notified by 30th August 2012.
- Successful published applicants will be kindly requested to donate copies of their works to the FEMRITE Resource Centre
- Applicants should not have published more than one book.
- FEMRITE will solicit support to meet costs of travel, accommodation, & meals.
For inquiries and submissions, please email email@example.com
- Call for New African Writing: The Second Phase (farafinabooks.wordpress.com)
- Writing Competitions for March 2012 (joannegphillips.wordpress.com)
- A Short Shrift to the Short Story? (damyantiwrites.wordpress.com)
- Where are the urban fantasy writing contests?! Huh? (snagglewordz.com)
- A Helpful Resource (xuathenaeum.wordpress.com)
- Erewash Writers’ Group Open Short Story Competition 2012 (sallyjenkins.wordpress.com)
- Call for YA Anthology Submissions! (pugaliciouspress.com)
- Switching Genres to Get the Creative Juices Flowing (samanthalukewriteforfun.wordpress.com)
- Short and sweet (telegraph.co.uk)
- Fundraisers Call for Story Submissions (prweb.com)